Spicy Veggie Gumbo with Greens
This hearty veggie gumbo recipe features healthy collard greens complemented by a mix of colorful vegetables and beans for added protein. Gumbo is a Louisiana stew blending the rich cultures and cuisines of India, France, Spain, and Africa. For a spicier version, add extra hot sauce and cayenne pepper.
Midi Cox- Host/Community Supported Agriculture
2 lbs. collard greens, stems removed, chopped
¼ cup vegetable oil + 2 Tbsp.
¼ cup flour
2 Onions, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
4 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup hot sauce
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
½ tsp each of thyme & oregano
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 ½ cups okra, chopped
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 ½ cups rice, pre-cooked
1. In large soup pot, boil greens in two cups water for ten minutes; cover and steam 5-10 minutes; set aside cooking water for later use.
2. In separate small pot, whisk together ¼ cup oil & flour over low heat, stirring continuously for 10-15 minutes (this mixture is called a roux); once its dark reddish brown, remove from heat and set aside.
3. In large soup pt sauté onions, bell pepper, celery & tomatoes for 2-3 minutes in 2 Tbsp oil, until soft; reduce heat, and add hot sauce, cayenne, thyme, oregano, parsley & garlic; cook, stirring continuously for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add roux and vegetable broth to the sautéed veggies and stir well to combine; add cooking water from collard greens and bay leaves; bring to simmer, cook 15 minutes.
5. Add collard greens, okra, kidney beans, and rice, cook 5 minutes; remove bay leaves.
For this and other great recipes, visit vegetarian.about.com
Return to Recipe Page