¼ cup chicken stock or canned broth
¼ cup dry sherry
¼ cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons peanut oil
¾ cup cashews
5 green onions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon peppercorn
1 ¼ lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1 to 2 inch square
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 lb baby bok choy or regular bok choy, chopped into 2 inch segments.
1. In a small bowl, blend together chicken stock, sherry, soy sauce and
2. If cashews are raw: Heat 1 Tbsp peanut oil in a large skillet.
3. Add cashews and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly
browned, about 1 minute.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a plate.
5. Leave remaining oil in pan.
6. If cashews are roasted and salted, skip to next step.
7. Add 1 Tbsp peanut oil to pan.
8. Add the white part of the green onions, the ginger, garlic and
9. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sauce. Place chicken in a
single layer in the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
10. Arrange the bok choy in a layer over the chicken. Cover and cook
until the chicken is cooked through and the bok choy is tender, 5 to 7
minutes. Thicken with additional mixture of cornstarch and cold water
(1 tsp of each). Transfer the chicken, bok choy and sauce to serving
platter. Garnish with the greens of onions, cashews and serve with
Return to Recipe Page